The Government of Uganda established a Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MOSTI) on recognizing Science, Technology and Innovation (STI) are the drivers of socio-economic growth and transformation the world over. Science, Technology and Innovation development is an important determinant of progress and transition from pre-industrial to knowledge-based societies. Therefore, the extent to which a country has harnessed STI has a direct bearing on its level of development.
The Ministry is primarily responsible for creating an enabling policy environment for STI and national development as articulated in the National Science, Technology and Innovation (2009) Policy, the National Development Plan [NDP II: 2016/17 – 2019/20] and the Vision 2040.
The NDP II highlights a number of interventions that facilitate the realization of four Science, Technology and Innovation development objectives. These objectives include but are not limited to:
- Enhancing the integration of Science, Technology and Innovation into the national development process,
- Increasing transfer and adaptation of technologies,
- Enhancing Research and Development in Uganda and
- Improving the Science Technology and Innovation legal and regulatory framework.
In order to actualize Science, Technology and Innovation for Sustainable Livelihoods, and economy the Ministry of Science Technology and innovations (MoSTI) will strive to achieve the following:
- Development of human capital in STI towards generating and enhancing a knowledge /innovation led economy;
- Harnessing and intensifying home grown R&D ,technology acquisition and innovation for markets;
- Main streaming of STI ,nurturing and acculturation of creative and innovative thinking;
- Harnessing of commercialization and intellectual property for wealth creation and societal wellbeing;
- Empowering society through innovation for sustainable development;
- Strengthening the ability and capacity of MoSTI support services and
- Enhancement and strengthening strategic alliances i.e. collaborations partnerships and cooperation
Structure of the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovation
The recommended structure will enable the Ministry execute its Mandate and accommodate cross-cutting, new and emerging technologies that have potential for accelerating Uganda’s transformation and development
The political Structure
The Minister will be the Political head of the Ministry of Science Technology and Innovations
The Technical Structure
The Permanent Secretary will be the head of the technical staff. He /she will be Chief Executive and the Accounting Officer.
The structure of the Ministry has been organized as follows:
Directorate of STI Regulation
Directorate of Research and Innovation
Directorate of Science Techno-preneurship