THE HIGH-LEVEL CONFERENCE
THE HIGH-LEVEL CONFERENCE ON APPLICATION OF SCIENCE, TECHNOLOGY AND INNOVATION IN HARNESSING AFRICAN AGRICULTURAL TRANSFORMATION
The Ministry of Science, Technology and Innovation (MoSTI) in conjunction with the African Agricultural Technology Foundation (AATF), Common Market for Eastern and Southern Africa (COMESA) and African Union Commission as partners are organizing the above High Level Conference. The Conference is scheduled for 27th to 29th September 2017 at the Speke Resort Hotel Munyonyo, Kampala, Uganda. The theme of the Conference is “Use of Science, Technology and Innovation for Transformation of African Agriculture”.
The Conference will focus on how to address the challenges adopting agricultural technologies and develop a way forward for effective and sustainable utilization of Science, Technology and Innovation (STIs) to transform our food production for a food secure Africa.
The specific objectives of the Conference are;
• To showcase the current and potential impact of application of science, technology and innovation for improved agricultural productivity, value-addition and poverty reduction
• To share Synopsis of the current status of Agriculture in Africa capturing the past, current and future trends .
• To showcase the significance of enabling systems in optimizing the impact and benefits of modern biotechnology to African agriculture.
• To facilitate constructive dialogue amongst high-level policy makers, experts, farmers, investor, regulators, communicators, development partners and the media on the Role of STIs in Sustainable Food Systems and Nutrition in Africa.
• To outline STI-related policy options that could catalyze agricultural transformation for a food and nutrition secure Africa.
• Highlight the need for sustainable, well-resourced public education, communication and information programmes to share credible knowledge on safety and benefits of innovative agricultural technologies.
• To charting the way forward for fast-tracking STI-based initiatives for sustainable agricultural revolution in Africa.
The conference expected outcome is to set the agenda on the need to establish evidence-based policy and regulatory frameworks needed to facilitate effective utilization of STIs to transform African agriculture and enhance food security in line with the regional and global initiatives such as the AU’s Malabo Declaration; and Recommendation No. 1 of the High-level Panel of African Experts, African Development Bank’s Technologies for African Agricultural Transformation (AATF) UN Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Comprehensive Africa Agriculture Development Programme (CAADP) initiatives, among others.
The Conference will be officially opened by H.E The President of the Republic of Uganda on Wednesday, 27th September 2017. Your wealth of experience and expertise would be invaluable in helping to shape the future of agriculture in Africa where innovative technologies are playing a central and critically important role for a food secure Africa.